Monday, July 13, 2020

A Rant about The Ancient Magus’ Bride



The picture here may look like this anime is about a cute romantic retelling of the Beauty and the Beast and it's just that but it is worse. Dropped this one just after watching one and a half episode, because I couldn't take how the "romance" was getting handled in this.

So, we have Chise, the 15 year old protagonist of the show, who is SOLD AT AN AUCTION to a magician by the name of Elias, who is, later we'll know, more than 200 years old, because she is going to be his apprentice in magic. So right after the girl is brought to his place, guess what, he immediately does?

STRIPS HER NAKED FOR A BATH WHEN SHE WAS CLEARLY PROTESTING.

His reason was that "she cannot do it". I don't understand which part of bathing she couldn't do? Take her clothes herself? Fill the tub with warm water? Or just take a bath? Why does he have to strip her naked? And are we supposed to find this romantic? I really did not understand that scene. And all these happened within the first 10 minutes of episode one.


I was already super pissed by this point but this show was on my bucket list for a while, so I decided to continue with the hope that maybe there is some redeeming qualities to it. MAYBE. Right in the end of episode one, we learn that, not only is she going to be his apprentice but also HIS WIFE. Did I mention that SHE IS ONLY 15 AND AUCTIONED OFF TO THIS MAN WITH A SKULL FOR A HEAD?

Also, I hate how the protagonist developed such warm feelings towards Elias because he called her his "family"? Excuse me, girl, did you forget that YOU ARE SOLD AS A SLAVE TO THIS MAN IN THE MORNING AND HE FORCED YOU TO BE NAKED BECAUSE A 15-YEAR OLD CAN'T BATHE HERSELF or something?

I was still somewhat trying to keep an open mind and began episode 2 and guess what? Elias tells her that they are going on a honeymoon. That's it! That's when I had enough. Why would a master magician who just wanted an apprentice needed to go on a honeymoon with the underage slave he bought at an auction? Is this supposed to be cute? What the hell am I missing, because I do not find anything remotely cute or romantic about the entire predicament the main female protagonist is thrown into!

It's such a shame that an anime which such high production value decided to go with such a shitty story. Hell, even the magic system seemed interesting to me. Too bad, 50 Shades of Grey style of romance ruined it. And it enrages me to find that the author of this piece is a woman. FFS, you get a platform to tell a story and you decide to vomit shit like this? Damn you!

Will I continue watching it? Well, I did try it. I decided I will watch it as a hentai or something. But damn! By episode 2, I realized that it isn't working as a hentai for me as well. It just sucks. This show sucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment