Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Reminiscence: Original Short Story by Afifa Farzana


I finally decided to meet her. It’s been two years since I last saw her. Her face had been pale and weak, guilt streaking all over it.

I was angry. I did not even like to look at her. How could she do it? After all these years being together, after going through all the will and woe. Did I love her less? Did she love me less? What went wrong? Everything was going well. What happened suddenly?

I shook my head to get rid of the sad memories. It was past twelve in the night. The moon was full, a bit too big for my liking. I looked at it without slowing my pace down. The street was empty except for the constant buzzing of the crickets. I did not have to think about bumping into them.

I could imagine faces on the yellow surface of the moon. Was that pity I see? Sympathy? Darn! I should not have smoked the last one, especially since it was the mint flavored one. Mint always made me dizzy.

A dog barked suddenly in the distant, shaking me back to reality. I looked up and saw two dogs on the verge of fighting. Fight. Anger. These human emotions had already begun to go non-existent in me. Maybe that’s what happened to you when you overflow with a pack of emotions at once. The last time I was overwhelmed was the last day I allowed myself to see her.

Does she miss me? Does she miss how she always waited for me at the dinner table? Does she miss listening to my worthless little stories which used to be worthwhile for me? Tonight, I might find out. But here’s a secret though. I never told anyone about it.



I miss her. Very much.

A streetlight flickered beside me. A drunk man was strolling in that alley; his cacophonic voice shamelessly singing an erotic song. I never went as far as drinking. My friends had said, “Take a sip. It works wonders.” I did take a sip. Yes, it was wonderfully nasty.

I was almost there. I could clearly see the iron fence. Should I proceed? Midnight is not really a very polite time. Her neighbors might frown upon her if they see me at this time. Well, who cared about them? I should probably get it done while the mint continued to play tricks on me. I may not be so courageous later.

Almost there.

Finally, I got there.

I took a deep breath.

“The doctor told me that I need therapy.” I mumbled, my throat getting thicker with this invisible lump; all the feelings I suppressed for so long rushing into my heart. “So, here I am.”

I gulped as I watched her eerily beautiful resting place; her tombstone glistening in the bright moonlight. I spent the rest of the night with her grave, reminiscing about us.  



No comments:

Post a Comment