Friday, March 17, 2017

Ramadan by Neil Gaiman

Being a practicing Muslim, the first thought which came to my mind is that this graphic novel is offensive and wrong. Islam is not about big cities and emperors owning thousands of concubines. But as I continued reading, I realized it was more about Arabian culture than Islamic teachings. Anyways, I could clearly see what the inspiration behind the story was.

The theme of the story is basically a satirical and quirky version of the Arabian Nights or One Thousand and One Nights. In fact, it is purposefully told in a fashion as though the story was being told by a story-teller because of the unexpected plot twist at the end.

Here is my version of the analysis:

Protagonists: Caliph Haroun Al Raschid – emperor/caliph of Baghdad, who liked to spend his time wooing his beautiful beloved city and the exotic women present in his harem ready to give him any pleasure he wanted.

Antagonists: I did not see any antagonist in the story but a conflict. It was Al Raschid’s everlasting tension and anxiety about the lasting of his city.

Setting: I was set in the city of Baghdad, a middle-eastern Asian kingdom/country which was described in such a way that it felt like it was some utopian kingdom of the future.


Genre: The genre is a bit confusing. It has all the elements of a High Fantasy story but the ending makes it all confusing. The main story is Fantasy but the frame story is Realism. So, I guess it is safe to stick with Fantasy.

Frame Story: Present. The plot twist at the end wraps up the whole story and also explains those different things happening within it.

Narration: Third person limited narrative, since Al Raschid was in every scene. But at the end it shows that the narrator is actually a beggar who tricks an unsuspecting child into giving him his money by triggering his imagination with his masterful way of story-telling.
Situational Irony: Yes. The denouement is one big situational irony. Turns out that the Arabian fairy-tale we were being fed to was nothing but the imagination churned by a beggar just to pocket some extra dirhams from another fellow child beggar. Basically, he used the child’s curiousity for anything extraordinary just to serve his own means. This part also serves as both the climax and the denouement.

Motif: A very clear motif present. Everything from the embroidered style borders, the calligraphy-like font to the tone of the story-telling screamed Arabian culture – exotic, sophisticated and intricate.

Rising Action: When the caliph began to worry about the permanency of his magnificent kingdom.

Falling Action: Well, I am not sure about this, but I guess the trading Al Raschid does with the Prince of Dreams at the soukh may count as a falling action (since that’s the point the readers actually wonder “now what’s gonna happen?”)

Remarks:
This is the first Neil Gaiman story I have ever read and even though it is politically incorrect (or should I say religiously?), I enjoyed it. The addition of the pictures with those carefully crafted words makes it all a whole new experience. Where in traditional words-and-letters novels, you have to visualize the story using the definitions provided according to your own way, you can actually see the author’s imagination in graphic novels. It leaves little to no room for imagination for the readers. You read and see what the writer himself imagines. Plus adding pictures to the story also makes it a quick read and conveys a lot more messages/definition in short space.

Do I prefer graphic novels to traditional novels?
Not necessarily. I still prefer traditional non-illustrated novels since I like to imagine the whole plot my own way. But I must admit that a graphic novel can be a great escape from time to time.

Editor's Note: I wrote this piece as a homework to one of my university courses and at the time of writing this, I was still a practicing Muslim. I have, since then, left my former religion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment